Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lily

It's funny how one word can sum up our dog perfectly. If someone asks about her and what she's like, we simply say, "She's Lily!"

Our lovable furbaby is a rescue dog from our local humane society. She joined our family in October 2009 after having been born at the shelter, adopted by one family, then subsequently returned due to financial issues. We do not know how long she was there before we found her, but things did not look well for her future there. I truly think fate brought us to her.

At the time, we were still living in our townhouse about 40 minutes away from where we live now. Our first stop that day was actually at a shelter about a mile away from there. The shelter was small, and offered more cats than dogs. And the dogs there weren't exactly what we were looking for. So, we made a trip to the humane society near our current home hoping that since it was obviously bigger, we'd have more of a selection. I can't tell you how long we were there, but it was definitely no short trip. This humane society was 80% pitt bulls, which we were not allowed to have in our townhouse. This made things difficult. We started looking at smaller dogs, thinking it would be more sensable. There was a jack russell terrier that caught our eye, but once we had him in the "meet and greet" room, we discovered he liked to pee on everything, including B's pant leg. We looked at a couple other dogs, and when we thought we had found one we liked, we sadly found out that an adorable little boy had seen him first. We were beginning to get frustrated and had pretty much decided to leave, when I suggested we take one more stroll through. There, out in her own crate, in the hallway, separated from all the other dogs, sat our Lily. B grabbed her kennel card, looked at me, and I knew. She was perfect. A little over a year old, knew basic commands, loved car rides, enjoyed baths, and was good with children. We took her to the "meet and greet" room, and she was so well tempered. She was perfect, and she had to be ours! And she was! We had the humane society fudge her kennel card because she is half black lab, half pitt bull. They simply said she's a lab/terrier mix, which isn't a complete lie as pitt bulls are terriers.

She is truly a member of our family. She is loving, playful, lazy, and sometimes a little stupid, but that only makes us love her even more. Lately, I've noticed how she's like us! Yes, a dog acting like humans. Hear me out. I have a mild (okay, maybe not so mild) case of OCD. One of the things I HAVE to do, is make our bed before I get in. It can be messy all day long, but it has to be perfect when I crawl in. B makes fun of me for this, of course, but it only makes him love me more ;). Monday night as I was making the bed, I noticed Lily "making" making her bed. I died! She has a blanket in her bed in our room, and wouldn't you know she was moving it around to get it just the way she likes it. She truly is our dog!

I'll leave you with a couple pictures of Lily and some of her "Lily-isms"

How she prefers to sleep:
12838_334768140404_626125404_9677248_874349_n

Her favorite ball:
pweaze?

She loves to people watch out the window:
23620_495818100404_626125404_11036362_6219266_n

No comments:

Post a Comment